PepsiCo chief executive Indra Nooyi steps down

PepsiCo’s chief executive Indra Nooyi is to step down in October after 12 years at the helm of the global beverage and food company. Nooyi will remain chairwoman until early 2019 to ensure a smooth and seamless transition. Ramon Laguarta has been elected to succeed Nooyi as chief executive and will join the company’s board, also in October.During her tenure,...

Sustainability award for Indonesian tuna canner

Indonesia’s PT Citraraja Ampat Canning (PT Crac) is the country’s first tuna packer to be awarded the internationally-recognised Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certificate for sustainable fishing.PT Crac is the second fishery in South East Asia to gain the MSC award. Producing around 3,000 tonnes a year, its main product is yellowfin and skipjack tuna caught using 35 pole and...

Carlsberg increases Cambodian ownership

Danish brewer Carlsberg has increased its ownership in Cambodian brewer Cambrew Limited by 25 per cent and now owns 75 per cent of the company. One of the largest brewers in Cambodia and owner of the ‘Angkor Premium Beer’ brand, Cambrew also produces Pepsi Cola under licence for the domestic market.Carlsberg chief executive Cees ’t Hart said: “The increased ownership...

Coca-Cola to launch canned alcoholic drink in Japan

Coca-Cola is going ahead with the launch of its first alcoholic drink in its history throughout Japan in October, after a soft introduction of canned Lemon-Do in a limited area in May 2018.The canned drink, which contains between 7 and 10 per cent ABV according to the variety, will appear across Japan in October. The product will be available only...

Organic canned foods to be sold on-line by Amazon

Canned foods are among the organic products that will be sold through on-line retailer Amazon when it completes the acquisition of Whole Foods Market Inc.Whole Foods Market is the US’s leading natural and organic foods supermarket with more than 460 stores in North America and the United Kingdom and yearly sales of US$16 billion. The US$13.7 billion all-cash deal...

Sales up at PepsiCo despite healthy drinks trend in North America

PepsiCo’s snack and beverage brands in developed markets contributed to its sales rise in the first quarter to $12.56 billion, an increase of 4.3 percent compared with the same period in 2017.But a shift to healthier drinks in the North American beverage market has seen its sales volume there fall by 1 percent. However, PepsiCo has been correcting this...

First canned flavoured water rollout in Brazil

Flavoured water is being canned and sold in Brazil for the first time. Rio de Janeiro based Eklo Water has teamed with Crown Embalagens Metálicas da Amazônia S.A. (Crown Brazil) to release the first flavoured water in aluminium cans in the country.Launched in red berry and citrus flavours that are free of sodium, calories and preservatives, Eklo Water is...

Campari divests its last soft drinks brands to concentrate on spirits

Italian drinks group Campari has agreed to sell its Lemonsoda business to Royal Unibrew A/S, the Denmark-based manufacturer of beer, soft drinks, waters, ciders, energy drinks and non-alcoholic malt drinks, for €80 million (US$93.8m).It is part of a strategy in which Gruppo Campari is concentrating on its core spirits range. Since the beginning of 2017 it has sold businesses...

SABMiller’s share of CR Snow in China to be sold

SABMiller’s share of the brewer in China behind the market-leading Snow beer brand is being sold to its owner in a multi-billion deal. The agreement is part of Anheuser-Busch InBev’s (AB Inbev) commitment to meet the regulatory requirements of its US$104 billion acquisition of SABMiller.SABMiller currently owns 49 percent of China Resources Snow Breweries, the remaining 51 percent being owned...